- Latin name: Aframomum Melegueta
- CAS No.: 90320-21-1
- Active Ingredient:
- Test Method: HPTLC
- Plant of origin: Aframomum Melegueta
- Part used: Seed
- Appearance: Brown powder
It is a herbaceous and perennial tropical plant of the ginger family. It grows from a rhizome, with a reed-shaped stem, and reaches a height of 1-2 meters; the leaves are narrow similar to those of bamboo, 25 cm long and 2, 5 cm broad. The flowers are single, resembling pink lilies at the base of the plant which then give rise to ovoid, reddish brown capsules that contain many reddish seeds, amidst a gelatinous white pulp. The flower and the rhizome smell of ginger.
- Stimulating and diuretic properties
- Chewed they have a warming effect on the body
- Numerous clinical studies are currently underway to evaluate any pharmacological properties as anti-inflammatory and metabolic activators.