- Latin Name: Carthamus Tinctorius L.
- CAS No.: 223749-52-8
- Active Ingredient: Carthamine
- Specifications: 1% Chartamine
- Part used: Flower
- Test Method: HPLC
- Appearance: Yellow or brown powder
The Safflower (Carthamus Tinctorius L.) is a highly branched, herbaceous, thistle.like annual plant. Traditionally, the crop was crown for its seed, and used for colouring and flavouring foods, in medicines, and making red (carthamin) and yellow dyes, especially before cheaper dyes became available. The yellow safflower is a natural food pigment extracted from the petal of Carthamus Tinctoria L. by the process of extracting, filtrating, purifying, concentrating, sterilizing, spraying & drying. The main colouring ingredient is carthamine.
In traditional Chinese medicine are used to:
- alleviate pain
- increase circulation and reduce bruising
- alleviate menstrual pain and minor physical trauma